L4Android boot process not completed successfully ("cannot find /system/...")

Itamar O itamarost at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 15:51:19 CEST 2013

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Matthias Lange <
mlange at sec.t-labs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 08:06:28AM +0300, Itamar O wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 7:16 AM, Itamar O <itamarost at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I think I've got it!
> >
> > I tried downloading the prebuilt iso from the website and running it
> > (lx_ginger.iso) - and it worked fine.
> > So I compared the init.rc files from the rootfs image I was using (as
> > downloaded from the website),
> > and from the rootfs image that was in the working iso image:
> > itamar at bender:~/AndroidWorkspace$ diff
> root/image/from/working/iso/init.rc
> > root/image/from/web/site/init.rc
> > 8c8
> > < loglevel 3
> > ---
> > > loglevel 3
> > 43c43
> > < #    mkdir /system
> > ---
> > >     mkdir /system
> > 95,99d94
> > *<    mount cramfs /l4bdds0 /system*
> > *<    mount cramfs /l4bdds0 /system ro remount*
> > *<    mount tmpfs tmpfs /data size=32M*
> > *< #   chown system system /data*
> > *< #   chmod 0771 /data*
> > 194d188
> > <     setprop net.dns1 10.0.2.3
> > 351a346
> > >     socket dnsproxyd stream 0660 root inet
> > 445a441,443
> > > service powerbtnd /system/bin/powerbtnd
> > >     user root
> > >
> > 449,450d446
> > <     disabled
> > <     oneshot
> > 457,460d452
> > < service dhcpcd /system/bin/dhcpcd -o domain_name_servers -ABKL
> > <     disabled
> > <     oneshot
> > <
> > 481a474,475
> > >
> > > #REMOVE FROM HERE
> >
> > So I copied off the system and root images from the iso into my build
> > directory,
> > instead of the downloaded images,
> > and when building my iso using these images - everything works fine.
>
> Ok, great that you got it working.
>
> Did you build Android for x86? Because then there is a bug in our config so
> that the build system is missing to copy init.l4android.rc to the root fs.
>
> Matthias.

 A couple of notes regarding the manual build instructions:
1. In the ISO creation stage (http://l4android.org/build/create_iso.html):
    - "L4Re" should be all lowercase ("l4re")
    - "mag" is included in the list, but it is not checked out by repomgr.
I checked it out manually.
    - In the last 2 module lines (root & system images) it is written with
"--" instead of just one "-".
2. When using my manually-built Android userland, the system did not boot
successfully, with this in the logs:
    l4bdds: Failed to get file rom/system-x86-ginger.img (rw): Insufficient
memory(-12)
    and when I increased the memory (-m 1024 instead of -m 512) it worked
fine.
3. In the Disk Images creation stage (
http://l4android.org/build/disk_images.html) the instructions specify to
modify the init.rc script by mounting the image. I found it simpler to edit
the init.rc in the build output directory before creating the image. Any
specific reason to do it your way?
    Also, The easiest way to find the place to add the "mount" commands was
to search for "on fs" in the script, and add the lines right after it.

Hope this helps those who run into the same difficulties I had.